Phishing Attacks On The Rise
You may or may not have heard the term phishing. For the record – it doesn’t involve bait and tackle OR psychodelic rock bands. Phishing involves getting you to drop your guard, and accidentally hand-over important information. You could give-up passwords, credit card numbers, or social security info without ever knowing. But why would you be so willing to just hand over this information?
How to Avoid Phishing Scams
Phishing attacks can, and will, be disguised as trusted sources. It can be easy to overlook a malicious source. Can you spot a phishing scam? Google created a quiz to test your skills – take the quiz.
Here are some quick tips on how to avoid phishing scams:
- Always look at the URL of any site an email directs you to – make sure it’s the actual site.
- Look for an ‘HTTPS’ at the beginning of the URL. A secure site will be more safe.
- Be cautious of any unsolicited emails that ask you to fill in private information.
- Install an Anti-Phishing Toolbar – There’s a number of free options available.
- Never give your personal information to anyone via email!
- Anyone authorized will do so through a secure option.
- Lastly – just think twice about anything you click on.
These are just a few of many great tips to keep you – and your information – safe.
What Else Should I Know?
There’s a lot of concerns associated with phising attacks. Aside from just financial burden, identity theft, and data security – it can became a lasting problem that reads like a hollywood film.
If the idea of forking over a suitcase of cash (metaphorically) to someone who has hacked your system scares you, it should. Ransomware can be devastating, and costly. Not to worry though! Yes, increasing your email security can help thwart these attacks. But, there are even more ways you can secure yourself against these brutal attacks, and focus on running your business successfully.
The Green Hills Group now offers a premium email management system that provides better security, and better peace-of-mind. Contact us today at 615-485-3882 – or fill out our contact form – for more information.